Tuesday, 17 December 2013

Environmental Sustainable Design, ARC1413

ESD Assignment 1: Green Go-2013 International Short Film Contest

Assignment 1 requires the student to create a campaign film/ short film of one of the selected categories: Life in Plastic, it’s fantastic/ Water- The drop of life/ Staying Alive. The video can be of any genre (cartoon, animation, puppet film, documentary, interviews, etc.). The topic I’ve chosen for my video is Staying Alive (Orang Utan)



REFLECTION:

Throughout this assignment, I’m now able to recognize the effect of growth of on the environment & is now aware of the current environmental issues not only locally, but globally as well. After doing so much research on Orang Utan, I found that Orang Utan are facing a very big threat from us, human. Due to the greediness of mankind, Orang Utan had lost their habitat due to illegal logging & this is becoming more and more serious. Besides, illegal hunting (for meat) & illegal capturing (pet trading) had also spurred on the extinction of this species. After completing this assignment, I understand the local & global context of growth & had realized the relationship between growth and its impact towards the surrounding & the environment. I realized that we human had the responsibility to look after the living things in this earth since we’re given the ability to think; on the other hand, try our best not to hurt & harm them.

ESD Assignment 2: Appreciating Environment- Nothing is Considered Waste 
(Group + Individual)

Assignment 2- Part 1 requires the student to produce a A2 Research Poster of our research findings & innovative solutions. The research is about the current wastage in the construction industry and the students were required to go for at least 2/3 site visits to gather data’s & informations of the current industrial wastage of 3/4 selected materials. Part 2- requires the students to produce an object/ artwork crafted from construction waste.

Research Poster (Materials- Timber, Steel Mesh, PVC & Aggregates)

Model (A stone made slipper)
REFLECTION:

Throughout this assignment, I’m now clear of the types of materials that is normally wasted in an construction process through the data’s me & my group member gained during the site visit. Besides, I also understand the reason why these wastes were produced in the site. Through understanding the LCA of each materials I’m researching, I now realized that from the start of a construction project, it is already effecting the environment. LCA determines the environmental impact of not only from the construction process, but during the production of materials, usage & disposal as well; thus, by using some innovative & creative method of recycling, the amount of wastage can be reduced. Besides, I am now able to create a creative & meaningful object from construction waste/ scraps in order to demonstrate & express the awareness of the impact of wastage towards the environment. This helped me a lot in expressing my thoughts in an abstract way; by translating my thoughts into the object created. Furthermore, after completing this assignment, I had recognize the role & responsibility of an architect towards the environment & society.








No comments:

Post a Comment