Exercise: My Home My Space
The exercise above requires the student to identify 5 materials that are being used in any space in their HOME. Students are then required to do a catalog of these materials and describe them through photographs, sketches and some descriptions.
![]() |
| My Home My Space |
In completion of this exercise, I am not only able to identify the different materials used for construction, finishes & furnishings, but also capable in describing the general usage of the material. Through this exercise, I found myself able to allocate & recognize the different materials used and gained some basic understanding of their properties. It is rather important for us to always be observant & get to know more about the materials surrounding us all the time; for instance, concrete, bricks, steels are some of the most common materials that we would be in contact with all the time. Hence, it is our responsibility to find out more about the common materials used in the construction industry.
(118 words)
Assignment 1A: Materiality of Space (An Experiential Exploration)
Assignment 1A requires the student to select a commercial or residential building which allow them to experience and explore the building materials used on that particular building. Then, in a group of 5 they have to produce two A2 boards and a mood board to show the building materials used in this building
![]() |
| Presentation Board 01 |
![]() |
| Presentation Board 02 |
![]() |
| Mood Board |
REFLECTION:
After completing Assignment 1A, I discovered some materials that I've not heard or noticed before and now become clearer about the usage of building materials applied in terms of their suitability, stability and durability. Besides, I’m able to list out the common physical & chemical properties of the materials identified from the building and relates back to the suitability of using such type of material in NZX Ara Damansara. Besides, after completing this assignment, I realized that there is a bond & inter- relation between the materials used and the climate weather of the surrounding. For instance, the usage of Tensile Membrane- Vinyl Coated Polyester as the material for the roof is highly suitable due to the natural properties of Tensile Membrane that is waterproof & able to block 80% of sunlight penetration; which fits exactly to provide shade to the pedestrians.
(144 words)
Assignment 1B: Individual Materiality of Space (An Experiential Exploration)
Assignment 1B requires the students to produce an A2 size presentation board individually where in the presentation board, students should show the depth of understandings towards certain materials of the buildings.
![]() |
| Individual Presentation Board |
In order to complete Assignment 1B, I discussed with my team members and each of us had chosen the materials that we are interested in showing an in- depth research for our individual presentation board. As for me, I had chosen a series of 3 materials ( Low Alloy Steel, Concrete & Drywall) which are more or less a combination of the column of the building itself. In the presentation board, I shared about my experience to that particular material and tried to elaborate my understandings towards them using the 5 senses, sense of sight (how do they look like? what is the colour of it? Does it look shiny or dull? Etc.), sense of touch (is the material smooth or coarse? Does the material gives a cool feeling or is it warm? Etc.), sense of smell (does the material has any smell which is special or cannot be found from other materials? Etc.) and such.
(156 words)
Assignment 2: Integration- Material Specification
Assignment 2 is an assignment which is related to the studio final project, where as referred to the brief, students are required to produce an A3 presentation board to propose the materials that they wish to use for their design in studio final project.
![]() |
| Final Presentation Board |
In completion of Assignment 2, I am now able to applicate the right & suitable materials into my own design where not only I had to consider about the suitability of choice of material in terms of strength, durability, etc. but also have to make sure the material is able to bring out the effect & spatial qualities that I’m looking for. Besides, the material has to be in line with the concept I’m currently using for my design, which is to make use of the Law of Reflection & Refraction; this is when most of my materials should have smooth & shiny surfaces in order to enhance the concept & for the concept to work even better.
(122 words)






No comments:
Post a Comment