Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Architectural Design Studio 1, ARC1116

Assignment 1: Self -Expression through Object (Representing Me)


Assignment 1 requires the students to select a medium of choice in which to communicate and represent their abstracted sense of self. The final outcome of this project is open-ended, meaning that the students are free to select any mode of communication (artwork/ performance) to best express a re-interpretation of their self-identity. 

1st Self-Portrait Exercise (Jerry the Mouse)
The Face Art of a Monkey King that I'm using to represent myself.
Presentation Day (Representing myself abstractly by performing a dance
with musics that has some special tempo & rhythm)
REFLECTION:
In completion of Assignment 1, I found that I had not only understand more about myself but also capable of expressing myself in an abstract way. During the process of looking for my true identity, I found myself struggling all along the way just like some other students where they do not know what they are capable of / what type of person they are or even what is their personality? This makes me very frustrated at first but as long as I continue working on it, I found it rather interesting after being exposed to various means of expanding on initial ideas by referencing artworks and expressions of varied art forms to my personal interest. Moreover, this assignment need myself to go through several deep thinkings of what I’m alike to/ is there anything that can best represent me? As such, I am able to gain the ability of generating ideas & abstracting the initial idea after going through a several thinking processes. 


Furthermore, we students were encouraged to always start looking for an idea through brainstorming (mind- map) as this is one of the fastest way of gaining an upstart idea of what we want to design and to come up with an interesting concept & theme. 

(211 words) 

Assignment 2: Self- Expression through Architectural Space (Me In Space)



Assignment 2 requires the students in a group of 3 to produce a 1:1 installation that encompasses this space and evokes the representative spatial quality. This will be a cardboard installation that measures up to a volume of no more than 1.5m x 1.5m x 2m. 

Final Product on Presentation Day
Final Product (Closed)
Final Product (Opened)
Final Product (Human Scale)

Prototype Model (Concept of a Shell)
Prototype (Closed) 
Prototype (Half- Opened)

1-1 Model Building Progress
Building Progress 01
Building Progress 02
Building Progress 03

Atmosphere around studio (Night before Presentation Day)
The Mess in Studio 01
The Mess in Studio 02

REFLECTION:

After completing Assignment 2, I learned how to develop and refine conceptual narratives and Story lines based on my personality, where this is actually a continuity of Assignment 1. In a group of 3, we have to find similarities of characteristics/ personalities among our group members & come up with a theme & a concept as referred to the brief. We were introduced to a new term in this assignment, Body & Space where we have to explore the dimensions of the human body by going through a body measurement exercise that would make us understand more about body size & human scale. This is to make sure that we are always aware of the fact that a design have to be in human scale & proportion in order to make it practical; if the design isnt in the right proportion, it would just be an artwork with no functionality. Hence, it is relatively significant for us to know how big is the human scale in order to create a space. 


Besides, after completing this assignment., I had developed a critical understanding on the relationship between body & spaces where different individuals are used to different expanse. Realizing that the size of spaces created varies among individuals in regards of different personalities, I found the close inter- relation between human characteristics with space rather interesting. To take an example, is it possible for a mischievous & recalcitrant boy to sit still and to be enclosed in a small, dim- lighted room with 4 walls surrounding him? The answer is ‘NO’ for sure. Thus, spaces actually varies directly with human personalities; which means that before creating a space, it is necessary for an architect to understand what kind of person the client is (personality) and to know what are the likes & dislikes (taste) of the client itself.

(313 words)

Assignment 3: Space For The Self (My City Dream Space)

Assignment 3 requires the students to design a hideout space for themselves by ‘grafting’ or
engaging it to the walls of an imagined ‘city’ on an empty abandoned plot. Students were required to design a sequence of at least 2-3 spaces that takes up anywhere between one-thirds to two-thirds of the vacant volume (approx. 5mW x 15mD x 12.5mH) within the site.

Site Model (Existing Buildings)
Site Model 01 (Perspective View)
Site Model 02 (Worm-Eye-View)
Site Model 03 (Bird-Eye-View)
Site Model 04 (Front View)
Site Model 05 (View in between 2 Site Buildings)
Site Model 06 (Back View)
Site Model 07 (Axonometric View)

1st Study Model Design
Study Model 01
Study Model 02
Study Model 03
Study Model 04
2nd Study Model Design
Study Model 01
Study Model 02
Study Model 03
Study Model 04
3rd Study Model Design
Study Model 01
Study Model 02
Study Model 03
Final Model
Final Model 01 (1-Point Perspective)
Final Model 02 (1-Point Perspective)
Final Model 03 (1-Point Perspective)
Final Model 04 (Top View)
Final Model 05 (View from Site Building)
Final Model 06 (2-Point Perspective)
Final Model 07 (Close Perspectives of the Interior Space)
Final Model 08 (Close Perspectives of the Interior Space)
Final Model 09 (Worm-Eye-View)
Final Model 010 (Bird's-Eye-View)

Final Presentation Board (Plans, Elevations, Axonometric Projection,
Perspective Drawings, Design Development)
REFLECTION:
In completion of Assignment 3, I realized that I am now able to identify, articulate and apply basic design principles in the spatial organization of my design. Basic design principles like rhythm, balance, hierarchy, etc. were applied in order to make the design looks lively; for instance, the interior space of my hideout was designed with many curvy Aluminium planes where not all of them curved to the same direction. Some planes directs to both sides of the building (left/ right) while some curved upwards; some planes formed a loop while some were just slightly slanting downwards...This is how I made use of the balance principle to make my hideout looks more interesting. Besides, the spaces created in between the aluminium planes were different as well due to the randomness of curving method; some spaces were wide but some were narrow & small. Through designing a hideout like that, I learned that I am able to create different feelings at different spaces by playing around with planes & stripes but in the meantime trying to remain the harmonious composition of the design. 


Furthermore, I found myself able to select and apply materials to embody and enhance the sensory experience of the space after completing this assignment. Realizing that by using different materials I would be able to create different atmosphere that would affect & influence the senses of an individual, I had chosen most off the materials that are reflective and has a shiny surface in order to further enhance my building concept. To take an example, galvanized stainless steel was used as the casing for the column in my building not only because it can reflect light, but also due to the smooth texture of the material that I want it to be in my design. Moreover, apart from the sense of sight & touch being influenced by the materials used, the sense of hearing & smell of an individual would be influenced as well when water elements are used in my design to act as a way to camouflage my building. Hence, from here I am able to realize how important it is to apply the right materials into a design so that the individuals inside can feel the space same as the designer.

(376 words)



No comments:

Post a Comment