History Assignment 1: Essay (Group)
Assignment 1 requires student to select a building and study the function of the building type to serve the community within its vicinity. The informations were to be collected & carefully analyzed before the report was produced. The building that my group selected are the ‘Pre-War Shoplots in Jalan Raya Timur, Klang’.
REFLECTION:
Throughout this assignment, I’ve learned how to interpret architectural language in relation to the development of Western architecture between Industrial Revolution and post World War 2. Since I’m focusing more on the ‘Concept & Idea’ of the architect, I found that the idea actually originated from Stamford Raffles who encouraged the construction of ‘Five-foot way shoplots’; which is the origin of the shoplots that we see now. After conducting sufficient research on the architect as well as the shoplots, I tried to relate the development of the shoplots back to the history of Klang as well. With the help of my friend who is doing research on the site context, I realized that the shoplots were located near to a train station; where according to my understanding, was due to the development of mining activities in Klang during that era that flourished the whole area. Since then, business has been one of the important activities in Klang, that brings to the construction of shoplots at that area. I found myself now able to interpret and analyze an information more accurately after completing this assignment, which I’m sure would help me a lot in the future.
History Assignment 2: Presentation Board (Individual)
Assignment 2 requires the student to produce a A3 presentation board with a more detailed analysis on the selected building. The analysis should include response, user & context, concept and change upon which the building was built. I’ve chosen ‘Changes of the Building’ as my main topic for my presentation board.
REFLECTION:
Throughout this assignment, I’ve learned to identify architectural components (exterior and interior) that have been adapted in response to local contextual conditions through a set of annotated sketches. Through understanding the building in depth, I realized that the pre-war shoplots were originated from other places (Penang) instead. This can be explained through the style changes of the shop itself, where at first should be atap houses and were gradually changing the elements which can be clearly seen on its facade. Besides, I’m now able to differentiate the way in which many varied factors contribute to the development of the form of a building. I’ve understand the reason for the changes of the elements on the shoplots as time passes; for instance the changes on the design of the windows & doors is much influenced by the Easterns (from louvred window~ highly decorative windows).

No comments:
Post a Comment